Friday, September 24, 2010

The Interview

Ugh.  That did not go well.  Being in a leasing office again made me realize that I'm not meant to be in a leasing office.  I was extremely nervous going into my interview and, I discovered, completely unprepared to answer some key questions asked by the district manager.  Two years is a long time to be away from an industry.  My lack of confidence was evident during the entire process, and I left the office knowing I would not be offered the job.

That said, I'm going to approach the whole mess as a learning experience.  Here's what I learned:

Do
  • Brush up on your numbers.  I couldn't recall my closing ratio, income goals, or anything more detailed than the number of apartments we had on property and average occupancy.  Employers like statistics; you should provide some relevant to your work.
  • Research the company.  I managed to poke around looking at floorplans and the like, but I didn't learn much about the management company itself.  I should have.
  • Remain confident.  Though I'm certain I would be great as an assistant manager, that certainty didn't come through in my interview.  I was hesitant when answering several questions and became easily flustered when I couldn't provide detail.
Don't
  • Focus on the negative.  Looking back at some of my responses, I'm pretty certain my distaste for aspects of the apartment industry was evident.  If you don't enjoy what you do (or are interviewing to do), it shows.
  • Forget to ask questions.  Asking relevant questions shows you are invested in the company and the outcome of your interview with them.  This is key.
So there you have it.  Here's to hoping for better things to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment