Monday, September 20, 2010

Week Two

Sorry for the lack of postings, but there hasn't been much news to relay.  I lost a bit of steam.  I realized this week that I haven't been approaching the whole job thing in the most practical way.  I've been applying for jobs without really thinking through what would happen if I actually landed one of them.  For example, I contacted a former employer the day I lost my job telling him I'd be willing to relocate anywhere within the company.  Turns out, I'm not.  He was very kind and he and one of the regional managers found a spot for me in South Carolina, so I excitedly relayed this news to David. 

One of the things I love about my husband is his ability to think rationally in those moments when I cannot.  He pointed out that the salary being offered wasn't much different from his currently and he would be unable to collect unemployment in SC if we were to move.  Also, we don't have much in savings and moving would deplete our funds entirely.  As much as I love my former company and all of the people in it, it didn't make sense for me to accept their offer.  That was not a fun email to write.

I did manage to land an interview here in Birmingham for this Friday, but otherwise this has been a week chock full of rejections.  So let's focus on the positive: Interview = YAY!  Interview also = slightly terrifying.  I find it difficult to present myself as a commodity and have an intense fear of disappointing people.  This fear is so strong, I once forgot to breathe during my annual review and very nearly passed out.  Thankfully, my review was good.

So I have a few questions for you, dear readers:
  1. How do you market yourself without feeling cocky or boastful?
  2. How do you shake off the nervousness to appear confident?
  3. Am I the only person who thinks the five most hurtful words in the world are "I'm very disappointed in you"?
And finally, I'm in the process of coming up with both a plan of action and a budget.  I'm the kind of person who can't function without a to-do list and a rough outline of what to expect.  Also, unemployment still hasn't quite kicked in and this month's round of bills is fast approaching.  In summation:  I'm a bit less chipper this week than the last, but I'll take thoughtful realism over blind optimism any day.

2 comments:

  1. I meant to reply to this yesterday, but I forgot. Two things:

    1. You know you're good at things. Think about Scrabble. Why are you good at it? Now, make the reason why you're good at it sound businessy.

    2. Don't worry about your nerves and just pretend to be confident. It's an interview. You're supposed to be nervous. (That last part is what Jim has to tell me every time I have an interview.)

    3. "I'm stabbing you with a knife." Trumped.

    ReplyDelete