Tuesday, November 2, 2010

The First Week

One week in and I am so in love with my job.  Though I am doing much the same work I did at The Old Job, the difference in the process and work environment is staggering.  For a long time I thought I wasn't well suited for an office job, but now I realize I just wasn't suited to work for a huge conglomocorp.

How it was:
  • Documents went through so many hands before reaching me and were pasted together from so many sources, I usually had no idea who had written anything.
  • Edits I made were usually not seen by the documents' authors, so nobody knew what was needed to improve their writing.
  • Huge documents either came in at the very last minute or large sections that took hours to edit would be deleted at the last minute.
  • I felt completely out of place.  There were only five or six people I ever felt comfortable talking to, and even with a few of them I felt I had to bite my tongue more often than I liked.
And now:
  • Every document has the name of the originator and his or her manager as an embedded field.  I am REQUIRED to track the number and type of edits I make for each person so we can look for improvements in writing.  If someone is not improving, they will be sent to classes (that I will be eventually teaching periodically) to refresh their grammar and punctuation skills.
  • There is an employee directory with recent photos and a seating chart.  Not only do I get to know the names of the people writing the documents, I get to put those names with the faces in the office.
  • Redline strikeout is still the most used tool I have, but now, comments are also encouraged because the author is responsible for making changes to his own document before sending it out to the client.  This means I get to explain exactly why I've changed something, and the author doesn't feel like I've just bled on the page for fun.
  • The break room has a ping-pong table!  And we have an annual tournament during March Madness!
  • Because the company is largely made of computer engineers who spend most of their time at jobsites, there are team-building events every month.  And these are events people actually want to attend. 
  • The Christmas party is at the Birmingham Museum of Art this year.  How posh is that?
  • I've already felt comfortable enough with two of my co-workers to discuss my Harry Potter and Twilight obsessions--and they didn't look at me like I was a lunatic afterwards!
In summation, I can't believe my luck.  I had heard that my old company was a great place to work before the big takeover, but I never experienced it myself.  Now I know how different it is to work for a small, independently owned company and the difference is palpable.  Really, it comes down to a feeling; everyone at The New Job believes in this company because the company believes in them.  You can't get that belief or sense of belonging when a company gets to be so large that the part-time employees aren't invited to the regional Christmas party.  I know I've wandered into hokey, sentimental territory, but I've never felt so good about a JOB before.  I'm elated.

3 comments:

  1. That sounds great. Almost too good to be true... are you sure that the CTS marketing department didn't pay you to write this post?

    ReplyDelete
  2. yay! i don't think this is sentimental or hokey at all. it's nice that you're happy and fitting in

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, they didn't pay me to write it, but today they sent me a basket of goodies (cashews, Oreo Minis, Laffy Taffy, etc.) and a really nice card welcoming me to the team.

    Seriously, my job is wooing me. It had me at Oreo!

    ReplyDelete